The NATIONAL ASSESSMENT AND ACCREDITATION COUNCIL (NAAC) is an autonomous body established by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India to assess and accredit institutions of higher education in the country. It is an outcome of the recommendations of the National Policy in Education (1986) which laid special emphasis on upholding the quality of higher education in India. To address the issues of quality, the National Policy on Education (1986) and the Plan of Action (POA-1992) advocated the establishment of an independent national accreditation body. Consequently, the NAAC was established in 1994 with its headquarters at Bangalore.
Education plays a vital role in the development of any nation. Therefore, there is a premium on both quantity (increased access) and quality (relevance and excellence of academic programmes offered) of higher education. The NAAC has been set up to facilitate the volunteering institutions to assess their performance vis-a-vis set parameters through introspection and a process that provides space for participation of the institution.
Benefits of Accreditation
- institution to know its strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities through an informed review process.
- identification of internal areas of planning and resource allocation
- collegiality on the campus.
- funding agencies look for objective data for performance funding.
- institutions to initiate innovative and modern methods of pedagogy.
- new sense of direction and identity for institutions.
- the society look for reliable information on quality education offered.
- employers look for reliable information on the quality of education offered to the prospective recruits.
- intra and inter-institutional interactions.
Ananda Mohan College, Kolkata volunteered to be assessed by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council. The peer team, consisting of Prof. R.S. Bawa, Registrar & Prof.of Economics, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar as Chairman, Prof.. B.N. Deka. and Prof. M.C. Agrawal as Members and Dr. M.S. Shyamasundar, Deputy Advisor from NAAC, Bangalore as the Co-ordinating Officer visited the institution for two days on January 12-13, 2007.
The peer team, consisting of Prof. Prasant Kumar Sahoo, former V.C. Utkal University, Odisha as Chairperson, Prof. H. Surya Prakash Rao, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry as Member Coordinatory and Dr. R. Jayaprakash, former Principal, Sree Narayana College, Kollam as Member and Dr. M.S. Shyamasundar, Advisor, NAAC as the NAAC Officer visited the institution for three days on November 17-19, 2016.
|Accreditated Status||EC Date||Cycles||Report|
NAAC Peer Team Visit Photos – Cycle 2